Snakes are pretty cool creatures, with a lot of ecological benefits, but they can be a nuisance if you have them in your backyard. Luckily, it’s not difficult to keep snakes out of the yard if you know what to do. You can make it difficult for them by using a fence, or you can fill up the holes they like to hide in with rocks and plant grass on top. But if you really want to know how not to attract snakes, read on
Tricks to Keep Snakes Out of Your Yard
- Eliminate Food Supplies. Snakes are often found in areas where rodents are present as this is one of their primary food sources. Hire an exterminator to get rid of a rodent population and you will likely see fewer snakes in your yard or around your home.
- Eliminate water sources – fill up any holes, raise birdbaths and keep pet water dishes empty when not in use. If you have a fish or koi pond, these are a great source of food for snakes that love water. Build a small fence around your pond that a snake won’t be able to climb over.
- Clean Up Your Landscaping – snakes love to hide in areas where there is thick mulch, leaf piles, wood stacks or branch piles. Cleaning up your yard will give them a lot fewer places to hide.
- Attract Natural Predators – Hawks and owls are natural snake predators that can be attracted to an area with the aid of a well-placed perch pole. Poles should be placed in open areas so the hawk or owl has a good view of the yard and surrounding area
- Smoke Them Out – One smell they particularly dislike is smoke. One remedy is to dig a fire pit and let it smoke for several days – covering the embers with moss and leaves can give you the best effect.
- Utilize Natural Products – There are many scents snakes don’t like including smoke, cinnamon, cloves, onions, garlic, and lime. You can use oils or sprays containing these fragrances or grow plants featuring these scents.
If all of these methods fail, call a snake removal specialist, or try snake pest repellants – Currently, The Top 5 Best Snake Repellents Reviewed are:
- Ortho Snake B Gon Granules
- Dr. T’s Nature Snake Repelling Granules
- Exterminator’s Choice Natural Snake Repellent
- Snake Shield Repellent Granules
- Haibinsh Solar Powered Snake Repellers
Whether you have a fear of snakes or just want to keep them out of your yard, there are many techniques that can be used. We’ve compiled the top tricks and tips for keeping these slithering creatures away from your property. Have you tried any of these methods? If not, we recommend reaching out to our snake removal team before hiring another company that may do more harm than good in an attempt to remove the problem animal. Contact us today if you need help removing unwanted snakes from your home or business!